A town with the Australian Spirit:
Ariah Park pronounced: Air-re-ah
A place, where the Australian fighting Spirit is alive and well.
That same spirit, evident and displayed by our forefathers, and definitely our
The beliefs & ideals that drove our
early Shearer's, our
("A Strenuous and Formidable Dame" ) and the
That same strength & determination, of
NEVER give up, NEVER say die, our FAIR Go attitude that has Forged this wonderful country to what we all enjoy today.
That Ozzie Spirit, we Australians love so much. Is still very much alive in Ariah Park Today.
While an increasing number of people believe we may have lost our way in our busy world.
NOT so in Ariah Park.
You can not only feel the Refreshing breeze of "We Can Do It",
but see the results of hat a community working together have accomplished.
Why not plan to come and enjoy our festival with us, in October.|
Experience first hand, country hospitality, our never give up attitude. and
help our village exist for another year.
Please, make yourself known, we would love to say Hi!
New South Wales
Population 268 (2011)
Elevation 316 m (1,037 ft)
'Coordinates 34'19'0'S 147'13'0 ECoordinates: 34'19'0'S 147'13'0'E
459 km (285 mi) from Sydney
98 km (61 mi) from Wagga Wagga
35 km (22 mi) from Temora
18 km (11 mi) from Mirrool
State electorate(s) Murrumbidgee
Ariah Park is a small town in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia, 35 kilometres (22 mi) west of Temora and 65 kilometres (40 mi) south of West Wyalong.
The town is within the Temora Shire near Burley Griffin Way. On Census night 2011, Ariah Park had a population of 268 people.
The town's name came from resident Sam Harrison who purchased a portion of the Wellman Estate and then named that portion Ariah Park (pronounced 'area').
The town is listed by the National Trust as a Conservation Area.
Tourist information make reference to the town being known for its 'wowsers, bowsers and peppercorn trees'. A 'wowser' is an Australian word describing a person who prefers not
to consume alcohol.
A 'bowser' refers to the everyday machine used to pump petrol or diesel into a vehicle, of which many antique examples can be seen on the main street.
The Peppercorn Tree is a common variety of which many specimens populate the main street.
The settlement was first established in 1850. Ariah Park was connected to the Main Southern railway line via Temora in 1906.
The village was gazetted the year after this connection and flourished at the expense of the nearby settlement of Broken Dam.
Ariah Park Post Office had opened earlier on 26 August 1903. The peppercorn trees were planted in 1916 and railway silos built in 1919.
The district produces sheep and wheat. New South Wales Government Railways launched its first bulk-wheat loading operation in the town in 1916.